Thursday, July 3, 2014

My very fist style shoot and the amazing people who made it happen!

Back in April I joined a BNI networking group. One of the very first people I met in the group was a photographer, Amanda, owner of Amanda Truth Photography. Amanda is our groups visitors host so she and I had lunch right away. Over Chai Lattes and Cheese Danishes I explained to her my struggle in building a reputation for my business and showcasing my abilities. Amanda suggested I do a style shoot. She made it sound very simple so I didn't think twice before I agreed to doing it. We picked a date and I immediately went to work contacting vendors.

My first task was finding a venue. I had recently conversed with Krystina Serafini at the Mariners Museum in regards to a wedding I was coordinating at the time, and she had been so pleasant I decided to start with her venue. I set up an appointment to meet with her and get a tour of the Museum. She was so friendly and professional right from the start and made me feel very welcomed at the museum. I told her I was looking to do a vintage tea party themed event, and she recommended I see the South Courtyard. I immediately fell in love. Even in early spring before everything had bloomed, it was so very charming. I made it up, right there on the spot that it would be my style shoot venue. Then Krystina told me what I would need to pay. I stumbled over my words trying to explain "there wouldn't actually be an event taking place here, but more so a staged event (finger quotes), and a little birdie told me it was something you all could provide......for free".

 

Free....That word makes me cringe. I hate asking anyone to do anything for free. Maybe it has something to do with coming from humble beginnings and having a mother whose pride was always greater than her circumstances. Whatever the case I did not feel entitled to getting things for free. It is something I still struggle with...asking for help. But Amanda coached me and assured me that I was bringing something valuable to the table, and what I learned along the way is that what she was bringing to the table was even more valuable...amazing, professional photos complimenting all of our unique talents.


So I swallowed my pride and I just went for it. I did my research and I chose vendors whose work I admired and whom I felt I could learn and grow from. It was the very beginning of wedding season and everybody was super busy, but they were still very sincere and nice. They told me what they could and couldn't do, which I respected. Honesty is always the best policy in my book, and I was just so happy to hear a yes...a maybe...a possibly...anything other than no. I loved working with every single one of the vendors who participated in my shoot.

 
Page from Jeff's Flowers of Course put together an amazing bouquet that I so badly wanted to preserve for my own wedding one day. Scratch bakery allowed me to use their most beautiful (in my humble opinion) display cakes as well as the stand and the lovely white tulle draped underneath. Grand rental station provided the plush pink table clothe, gorgeous white, sheer overlay, as well as the elegant chiavari chairs. Ashley and Georgia at The Unearthed provided the Hutch, the Virginia (the Victorian style sofa), and a few of the smaller accents such as the tea cups displayed on the Hutch, which they brought along just for fun. They were so generous and kind and even helped me unpack and set up what seemed like tons of china and other décor. My bride and close friend Xavius Praylow delivered an amazing performance, playing the chic, surprised, grateful, at times humored, always elegant bride to be. My best friend Jerimiah kept me sane and made sure all of the décor and rentals arrived to the venue on time. He also helped with set up and tear down as did most of the vendors who were present at the style shoot.

 
 
All in all I had an amazing team of creative, professional, talented, kind hearted people. And to the beautiful inspiring bird who so eloquently put a word in my ear, coached me through the process, captured every amazing aspect of it, and then turned around and got us published, thank you. Thank you for believing in me, being patient with me, and doing a phenomenal job. You are a great person and an extremely talented photographer and I am not only glad to call you my colleague, but also my friend. This was a huge step for me and for my business, and so many of you helped to make it the success that it was. Lastly, thank you for publishing it to your super fabulous wedding blog Chelsea LaVere of Tidewater and Tulle.
 
 

              
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment