Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Network Wednesday: Five Networking Tips You Must Know

So aside from planning awesome events, I tend to do a lot of networking and I also have a networking event that I personally host once a week titled The Networking Games. I know...I'm a dork :/ Any who, over the past 6 months I feel I have learned a lot about networking, but more so I've learned a lot about what not to do and what's not affective at all. So in honor of Network Wednesday, my self proclaimed weekly holiday in the name of all things networking, I have compiled a list of 5 must know networking tips. Enjoy!

1. Wear a nametag. I know, this sounds goofy, but I for one am horrible with remembering names. So if I meet you at a networking event, and then we part for a moment to mingle with other fellow networkers, but later I remember there is something important I want to ask you, or there's somebody I know who could really use your services, I being the awkward person that I am, am going to avoid you like the plague, and instead fumble through my stack of business cards in hopes that I might find the one belonging to you. Why? Because I'm too embarrassed to admit that I forgot your name that fast....and I'm awkward. This would be a heck of a lot smoother and less awkward situation had you just been wearing a nametag. So invest in a reusable business nametag (even better if it has your businesses name and logo too) that goes well with any attire. People who know your name are more likely to use it!

2. Say farewell to the person you came with. Most likely you already have a relationship with that person. They know you, what you do, and what you can do for them. So don't waste your time or money (time=money) spending the whole event chatting it up with them because it feels comfortable. Remember life begins when you step outside of your comfort zone.

3. One person at a time. Have you ever tried having a serious conversation with multiple people at the same time? There's always one who feels what they have to say is more important than what you have to say. There's the one with the short attention span who nods but has no clue what your actually talking about. And then there's that guy who could really use your services or would just be a great contact for you to have, but he's too uncomfortable to break into the circle you'll have formed. Have you ever tried to break into a circle of people? It's like playing double dutch and waiting for the right time to jump in without being whooped by the thick orange extension chords (is that ghetto that we did that?) The point is, pace yourself and try to have a one to one with everyone in the room.

4. Monitor your food and beverage intake. Stay away from foods that are going to give you bad breath. Period. And don't drink too much. The last thing you want is for someone's first impression of you to be "yea that guy/girl likes to drink"....maybe in college, but this is the real world, and people want to know that they can rely on you to be professional...and sober.

5. Don't leave before it's over. Networking is a commitment. It's not something you do recreationally although it should be fun and engaging if you have a good host. But overall it is an investment of your time. So make the best of it and make it worth your time. Make an honest effort to meet everyone in the room, and stay up until the very last minute because you never know who may walk in the room. It could be your ideal client!

I hope this was helpful to somebody out there. As a disclaimer, I have been guilty of all of these networking don'ts so don't feel bad if some of them applied to you. We do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better we do better :) In summary, networking is key in building your business and it is important that we do it right. Tune in next week for Network Wednesday's post and if your in Hampton Roads or any of the surrounding cities, please do join me for The Networking Games!
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-networking-games-tickets-12138571795?aff=eorg

No comments:

Post a Comment